HSEQHSEQ - health, safety, environment, quality
OrcaNation prides itself for respecting and maintaining the highest possible Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality standards.
At OrcaNation we promote a healthy lifestyle. Our team works at all times in the safest ways and spends a great deal of time and energy on the wellbeing of our customers, students and divers. The use of tobacco and alcoholic items is forbidden at any time during working hour. We take all precautions necessary to ensure the highest standard of health and safety of our customers before, during and after activities.
- Our experienced education team have designed programmes that meet the strict HSEQ (Health, Safety, Environment and Quality) standards of International Schools. We ensure our accommodation, catering and transport partners meet our exacting safety standards.
- We enforce low instructor to student ratios to ensure the best and safest experience. During a trip a maximum of 12 students will be supervised by 1 instructor. For water and climbing activities, the ratio is 6 students to 1 instructor
- Our rigorous hiring and training process ensures OrcaNation instructors are highly professional and experienced.
- All OrcaNation team members have been trained as EFR (Emergency First Responders) and carry first aid kits at all times during every activity.
- All team members go through Child Safeguarding Training annually and our Safeguarding Policy was developed in partnership with International Child Protection Advisors and a selection of our school partners.
- We have developed background checks in line with standards proposed by Tim Gerrish of International Child Protection Advisors, registered in the UK and advisors to many International schools globally.
- Our robust safety measures include extensive Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and Risk Assessments for each ocean and land-based activity, without compromise.
- We enforce strict allergy minimisation policies to ensure the wellbeing of our students.
- We have Emergency Action Plans (EAP) for each activity site. All EAP’s will be provided prior to the commencement of any activity.
- Extensive planning goes into each school trip to ensure it’s not only well-planned but well supported.
- We complete post-programme reviews of everything we do to ensure that we are continually improving our safety standards.
- We are a PADI accredited organisation, which we carry and promote with great pride.
- Many of our instructors are PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainers or above. Most have at least 1,000 dives under their belts, plus in excess of 100 student certifications. We also work directly with PADI Course Director Holly MacLeod to maintain the highest standards.
- As part of our core HR and compliance policies, OrcaNation and our Instructors are fully insured under PADI's medical insurance and liability policies, according to the required rules and regulations.
- All OrcaNation team members have been trained as EFR (Emergency First Responders) and our Master Scuba Diver Trainers (MSDTs) are EFR trainers.
- All of our scuba diving equipment is less than three years old, serviced in line with manufacturers’ guidelines and checked (and replaced if needed) on a regular basis for wear and tear.
- One OrcaNation dive instructor supervises only four divers, well below the PADI recommended 1:8 ratio.
- Our robust safety measures include extensive Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and Risk Assessments for all aspects of scuba diving and transportation.
- We have thorough Emergency Action Plans (EAP) for each dive location. All EAP’s will be provided prior to the commencement of any activity.
- All team members go through Child Safeguarding Training annually.
At OrcaNation, we work towards a climate of total environmental friendliness, sustainability and avoidance of the use of goods and materials that are having a negative impact on the environment. We want to create positive footprints by doing good through quality education and active conservation of the environment and ecosystems.
Above all, quality is at the core of all our activities. This expresses itself in:
- The staff we carefully select and hire. We search for professional dive instructors and outdoor educators and with a strong passion for safety, quality and the environment, and with a customer-focused mindset.
- The time we reserve and take to teach the various courses.
- Reduced student/instructor ratios for all activities.
- The quality, range and condition of our dive gear offered, including general technical equipment such as compressors and scuba tanks.
- The facilities we use for classroom and dive training.
- The partners we work with to deliver exceptional experiences.
- We strive for the best possible customer experience by delivering a top quality service creating positive footprints.
If you require further information about our healthy and safety policies, please contact our team.